The current pandemic has postponed or canceled many events and The Big Squeeze 2020 Statewide Youth Accordion contest was one event that had a little bit of both. The 14th annual accordion contest, presented by Texas Folklife, began in February and drew dozens of young musicians from across the state, who entered through live competitions and recorded submissions.
In March and April, the Coronavirus pandemic canceled many of the later auditions, but video submissions were accepted with online judging and the finals scheduled for Friday, May 1 via live stream on social media.
A Facebook Live event will broadcast at 3 p.m. CT on the Texas Folklife Facebook page. Several young musicians will perform from home with pre-recorded performances by all four of the 2019 Champions and a live announcement of the 2020 Champions.
The Big Squeeze honors the state’s top young accordion players in conjunto, polka, Cajun, and zydeco.
Like Tejano Nation on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and Instagram, and subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with everything Tejano. Listen to new Tejano music first with our playlists on Spotify and Soundcloud.
Photo: Christina Valdez at 2018 Big Squeeze Finals in Austin, Texas
- Intocable adds second drive-in concert date in Hidalgo on June 7
- Siggno to release ‘Pelicula Vol. 1’ EP on May 29
- Grupo Intocable drive-in concert set for June 6 in Texas
- ‘Tejano America: The Homestyle Edition’ web series premieres May 24
- ‘Selena’ movie finally gets Blu-ray release with extended scenes, documentary