The current pandemic has postponed or canceled many events and The Big Squeeze 2020 Statewide Youth Accordion contest was one event that had a little bit of both. The 14th annual accordion contest, presented by Texas Folklife, began in February and drew dozens of young musicians from across the state, who entered through live competitions and recorded submissions.
In March and April, the Coronavirus pandemic canceled many of the later auditions, but video submissions were accepted with online judging and the finals scheduled for Friday, May 1 via live stream on social media.
A Facebook Live event will broadcast at 3 p.m. CT on the Texas Folklife Facebook page. Several young musicians will perform from home with pre-recorded performances by all four of the 2019 Champions and a live announcement of the 2020 Champions.
The Big Squeeze honors the state’s top young accordion players in conjunto, polka, Cajun, and zydeco.
Like Tejano Nation on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and Instagram, and subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with everything Tejano. Listen to new Tejano music first with our playlists on Spotify and Soundcloud.
Photo: Christina Valdez at 2018 Big Squeeze Finals in Austin, Texas
- LaDezz releases soulful single ‘Me Quedo Yo Sufriendo’
- Sonja De La Paz premieres video for sophomore single ‘Se Acabo’ ft. Joe Ojeda
- Frankie J premieres music video for ‘Buenos Amigos’ duet with Lupita Infante
- Bobby Pulido gets personal with fans during livestream celebrating 25-year career, announces concert
- Devin Banda shares sizzling Instagram lingerie photos