Grupo Romance confirmed the news of Rodriguez’s passing via social media. “One of the best musicians that could ever be has passed away this very day,” the group posted on their official Facebook page. “You might not have known him cause he was never a showboat or a person who was (loud) and carried an obnoxious behavior but he was one of the greatest.”
According to a GoFundMe page set up this month by Rodriguez’s son, Johnny Rodriguez, the legendary musician was suffering from adrenal gland cancer and had also suffered a fractured lumbar causing severe back pain. He was receiving care at a cancer treatment center in Houston including chemotherapy.
Juan M. Rodriguez was a legendary Tejano musician playing accordion and bass during his career that began in the 1960s. He was a member of legendary band Snowball and Co. that featured late Tejano icon Laura Canales. He also played with Tierra Blanca and Felicidad.
“Juan was always instrumental in dealing with arrangements and arranging voices and things of that nature, a very well disciplined musician,” said Miro Valdez, a long life friend and band member with Rodriguez. “We have lost a very talented and wonderful human being and he will be missed dearly.”
Follow Tejano Nation on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, and subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with everything Tejano. Listen to new Tejano music first with our playlists on Spotify and podcast on iHeartRadio.
- Perrier Launches Limited-Edition Can Inspired by Día de Los Muertos
- Jennifer Peña receives second marriage proposal from husband Obie Bermudez after ‘Asi Se Baila’ performance
- PATRÓN Tequila Celebrates the Traditions of Día de Muertos Through a Story of the Calavera Bee Narrated by Eugenio Derbez
- Mar García debuts new single and video ‘Quiero Volver’
- Abraham Quintanilla address those that feel he is profiting from his daughter’s death and announces new Selena album