Best recognized as the touring accordionist for bands like Sting, The Mavericks, and The Last Bandoleros, GRAMMY-nominated musician Percy Cardona has released the holiday single, “Linus and Lucy.”
This classic was originally recorded by American jazz pianist Vince Guaraldi and gained much exposure from the 1965 animated television special “A Charlie Brown Christmas.”
Cardona’s rendition of the instrumental follows the outline of Guaraldi’s arrangement. The nostalgic melody is played on the squeezebox. The famous bass motif is featured on a bajo sexto—an instrument predominantly used in the Conjunto and Norteño genres. Cardona gives a nod to his Tejano upbringing by performing the b-section as a cumbia.
“I’ve wanted to record this song for many years,” said Cardona. “I don’t know why I chose one of the busiest times in my life to do it, but I did it.”
Former Recording Academy Governor Eddie Perez lends his talents on bajo sexto and electric bass. The slower swing part includes a bass walk from The Mavericks’ bassist Ed Friedland and piano fills from Nashville multi-instrumentalist Ben Young. The drums were recorded by Eduardo Torres who currently tours with Latin artist La Mafia. Cardona’s accordion playing and producing round out the reimagining of this holiday anthem.
Percy Cardona is a fourth-generation musician from Big Wells, Texas. He toured with Sting in 2017 for the 57th and 9th Tour as the accordionist and background vocalist. Upon the tour’s end, Cardona primarily performed live shows with Warner Music Nashville’s The Last Bandoleros before joining The Mavericks in June of 2021.
The release of “Linus and Lucy” serves as a soft launch as Cardona plans to release original music in 2022 as a solo artist. The foreseeable future includes Cardona’s contributions to The Mavericks.
See the full list of live dates at PercyCardona.com/tour.
The Mavericks’ Upcoming Shows
- December 3 & 4 – Ryman Auditorium – Nashville, TN.
- December 10 & 11 – Keswick Theatre – Glenside, PA.
- December 14 – Bergen Arts Center – Englewood, NJ.
- December 16 – NYCB Theatre – Westbury, NY.
- December 17 – Garde Arts Center – New London, CT.
- December 18 – Ulster Arts Center – Kingston, NY.
- December 29, 30, & 31 – Gruene Hall – New Braunfels, TX.
- January 13 – Parker Playhouse – Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
- January 14 – Ruth Eckerd Hall – Clearwater, FL.
- January 15 – The Plaza Live – Orlando, FL.
- January 21 – Brown Theatre – Louisville, KY.
- January 22 – Brown County Music Center – Nashville, IN.
- February 5 – Selena Auditorium – Corpus Christi, TX.
- February 6 – Performing Arts Center – McAllen, TX.
- February 10 & 11 – Del E. Webb Center – Wickenburg, AZ.
Follow Tejano Nation on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, and subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with everything Tejano. Listen to new Tejano music first with our Spotify playlists and iHeartRadio podcast.
Don Francisco Recieves Tribute and ‘Icon of Generations’ Award at Latino Wallstreet Awards
Gabriela Berrospi, founder of Latino Wallstreet, presented the ‘Icon of Generations’ Award to Don Francisco, who was also recognized by Miami Dade County
Freddie Records shares rare photos of Jimmy Gonzalez’s demo tape over 20 years later
Freddie Records shares rare photos of demo tape from late Tejano icon, who passed away five years ago this week
Alessandra Villegas returns to Vme TV más ‘Esplendida’ que nunca!
¡Espléndida! premieres on Vme TV on June 7, occupying a prime daytime slot every Wednesday at 10:30 am ET.
0 comments on “Percy Cardona delivers squeezebox rendition of holiday classic ‘Linus and Lucy’”