Selena: The Series, the Netflix biographical drama about late Tejano music icon Selena Quintanilla, will premiere Dec. 4.
The announcement was made by Netflix via the streaming giant’s Latinx social media arm Con Todo. In an Instagram post with the message “Every Legend Begins With a Dream,” the premiere date was announced and a teaser released.
Selena: The Series is a coming-of-age story following Selena, played by Christian Serratos, as her dreams come true and all the heart-wrenching and life-changing choices she and her family have to make as they navigate success, family, and music.
The series comes from Campanario Entertainment and is executive produced by Jaime Dávila, Rico Martinez, Suzette Quintanilla, Simran A. Singh, and Moisés Zamora.
“Selena will always have a lasting place in music history and we feel great responsibility to do justice to her memory,” Selena’s sister Suzette Quintanilla said about the series. “With this series, viewers will finally get the full history of Selena, our family, and the impact she has had on all of our lives. We are excited to partner with Campanario and Netflix to give fans a never-before-seen glimpse at our story and highlight why Selena will remain a legend for generations to come.”
On March 31, 1995, 23 year-old Selena was gunned down by her fan club president Yolanda Saldívar, outside of a motel in Corpus Christi, Texas. Two years later, the multi-award winning film Selena starring Jennifer Lopez was released and became a huge hit.
The series will be split into two parts, with the first half comprising six hour-long episodes.
Follow Tejano Nation on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, and subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with everything Tejano. Listen to new Tejano music first with our playlists on Spotify and podcast on iHeartRadio.
- Michael Salgado drops video teaser of upcoming country song ‘She Thinks My Name Is Whiskey’
- Adrian Gutierrez honors his parents 30th anniversary with a cover of ‘Y Sigues Siendo Tu’
- Nephew of Tejano icons Los Aguilares releases lead single in homage to family legacy
- EstrellaTV Brings the Sabor to Thursday Nights With ‘MasterChef Latinos’
- Mario Marichalar releases new single ‘Bella’ from upcoming album, shares latest on lawsuit over streaming royalties