In 2008, Emilio Navaira’s sons, Emilio IV and Diego, performed “Juntos” at Premios a la Musica Latina in San Antonio to honor their father, who had been critically injured in a tour bus accident just days before the event.
The Tejano music legend was scheduled to perform at the awards show at Majestic Theater on April 1, but was in a medically induced coma at a Houston hospital after the tour bus he was driving crashed into freeway barrels in the early morning hours of March 23.
Emilio underwent five brain surgeries to relieve pressure in his skull and eventually returned to the stage in April 2010 to sing at a fundraiser at the Pearl and gradually put his band back together. However, the Tejano star passed away of an apparent heart attack on Monday, May 16, 2016. He was 53.
WATCH: Emilio IV and Diego Navaira perform “Juntos” at 2008 Premios a La Musica Latina
Like Tejano Nation on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and Instagram, and subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with everything Tejano. Listen to new Tejano music first with our playlists on Spotify and Soundcloud.
- Jay Perez invited to perform with Miami Symphony on June 8
- David Beck’s Tejano Weekend premieres ‘La Ronera’ single and video from ‘Dos Exitos’ EP
- Los Desperadoz back on the road, release new single ‘Un Milagro’
- Palomino Fest returns to the Uvalde County Fairplex for Labor Day Weekend 2021
- AB Quintanilla III Y Los Kumbia Kingz Allstarz with Pete Astudillo headline Fiesta de Mayo in Houston Memorial Day Weekend