Kelly Clarkson and her band performed a moving cover of “Dreaming of You” by Selena in the latest edition of Kellyoke from the singer’s daytime TV talk show.
On Tuesday, the Texas native paid a beautiful tribute to the “Queen of Cumbia,” Selena. Clarkson sang “Dreaming of You,” the title track from the late Latin music icon’s posthumous 1995 album.
PopSugar described Clarkson’s performance: “She kept to the song’s original dreamlike softness, hitting the impassioned yet velvety notes all the way through the song. Though it’s still notably different from Selena’s rendition purely because of the differences in their voices (no one will ever sing like Selena!), Clarkson’s cover is just as delicate and reverent as the love song calls for.”
Each week the 38-year-old star serenades her audience with a song of their choice. This week, Antonio from San Antonio picked Selena for the former American Idol winner because of how much the song meant to him, according to mySA.com.
“I’ve always identified with Selena’s message of hard work, positivity and always being true to yourself. Even 25 years later, her music has always resonated with me and millions across the world, especially because it taught me a lot how to speak Spanish,” Antonio said.
Being from Fort Worth, Clarkson had to shout out Selena’s Texas roots: “Everybody loves Selena in Texas.”
Follow Tejano Nation on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, and subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with everything Tejano. Listen to new Tejano music first with our playlists on Spotify and podcast on iHeartRadio.
- Legendary Los Fabulosos 4 guitarist Encarnacion Fuentes Jr passes away at 72
- Highly-anticipated Tejanas Unidas En Cristo collaboration ‘Aqui Estas’ officially released
- Hector Gonzalez of Los 2Gs hospitalized in critical condition with COVID-19
- Cindy Ramos returns with romantic “Que Mas Quieres De Mi” single
- Gaby Natale and QuickBooks Team Up to Empower Latino Entrepreneurs Across the Country