Selena will be inducted into the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo’s prestigious Star Trail of Fame as part of Go Tejano Day on Sunday.
The late “Queen of Cumbia” will be honored during a ceremony at 1:30 pm Sunday, March 8, on the second floor of the NRG Center, where eight other plaques are currently displayed commemorating RodeoHouston stars.
Selena will be the ninth star honored for her years of entertainment on the RodeoHouston stage. She performed at RodeoHouston three consecutive times, including her last one in the Astrodome in 1995, setting the all-time attendance record.
Though the young, bicultural icon tragically lost her life at 23 when she was shot to death by her fan club president on March 31, 1995, her presence is still felt each year at rodeo concerts. Several RodeoHouston entertainers, including Kacey Musgraves, Camila Cabello, Prince Royce, Cardi B, and most recently, Becky G, have paid tribute to Selena during their shows.
Like Tejano Nation on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and Instagram, and subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with everything Tejano. Listen to new Tejano music first with our playlists on Spotify and Soundcloud.
- Tejano All-Stars kickoff Official Latino Inaugural 2021 event with ‘America The Beautiful’ virtual performance
- Tejano All-Stars to join Official Latino Inaugural 2021: Inheritance, Resilience & Promise
- Cynthia Bustamante releases debut album ‘Renacer’
- Album Review: Liz Garcia matures into ‘Una Estrella’ with sophomore album
- Netflix reveals premiere date for ‘Selena: The Series’ Part 2