Selena will be inducted into the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo’s prestigious Star Trail of Fame as part of Go Tejano Day on Sunday.
The late “Queen of Cumbia” will be honored during a ceremony at 1:30 pm Sunday, March 8, on the second floor of the NRG Center, where eight other plaques are currently displayed commemorating RodeoHouston stars.
Selena will be the ninth star honored for her years of entertainment on the RodeoHouston stage. She performed at RodeoHouston three consecutive times, including her last one in the Astrodome in 1995, setting the all-time attendance record.
Though the young, bicultural icon tragically lost her life at 23 when she was shot to death by her fan club president on March 31, 1995, her presence is still felt each year at rodeo concerts. Several RodeoHouston entertainers, including Kacey Musgraves, Camila Cabello, Prince Royce, Cardi B, and most recently, Becky G, have paid tribute to Selena during their shows.
Like Tejano Nation on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and Instagram, and subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with everything Tejano. Listen to new Tejano music first with our playlists on Spotify and Soundcloud.
- Veronique Medrano gives a powerful bilingual rendition of Roy Orbison classic for upcoming ‘Crying’ EP
- Star-Studded “Premios Juventud” Turns Up the Heat Showcasing Latin Music’s Hottest Hits in Awaited Celebration
- Award-winning radio personality Monica Peña joins Tejano Nation as contributor
- Liz Garcia pays tribute to late cousin with ‘Ay Javier’ music video
- Brenda Martinez Launches Sweet Sessories Online Boutique