Netflix announced “Selena: The Series” with a promo video in late 2018 with an expected launch date of the series for later this year in 2020.
The series stars “Walking Dead” actress Christian Serratos as Selena, but young Selena will be portrayed by nine-year-old Madison Taylor Baez and she spoke about joining the cast of the highly-anticipated series with “California Live.”
“I am so excited, I can’t believe it,” Baez said. “It was really fun being on set. I got to relive the moments in Selena’s life that happened to her and that was just really cool to relive the moments in Selena’s life.”
The young singer and actress from California added that her parents helped her learn about the “Queen of Cumbia.”
“I didn’t know who Selena was, but my mom and dad were huge fans of Selena and they told me about her and I was like, ‘Oh my gosh, is there a movie about her?’,” she said. “I watched the movie and I just fell in love with her.”
The Quintanilla family is fully involved with the project and series including Selena’s sister Suzette Quintanilla as executive producer.
“Selena: The Series,” which also stars Ricardo Chavira as Abraham Quintanilla, will stream on Netflix in 2020 and follows the beloved singer’s road to fame before her untimely murder at the age of 23 in 1995.
Follow Tejano Nation on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, and subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with everything Tejano. Listen to new Tejano music first with our playlists on Spotify and podcast on iHeartRadio.
- Biggest Accordion Shootout Finale in Tejano history planned at Conjunto Festival in Alice on Nov 12 & 13
- Industry ballot for 41st annual Tejano Music Awards now available online
- Tejano Music Awards makes a return to broadcast TV with virtual event on Dec. 11
- ‘Anything for Selena’ podcast receives Best Spanish Language Podcast nomination at iHeartRadio Podcast Awards
- Hispanic Community Leader Martha Llamas Receives NSRC Champion of Freedom Award