Netflix announced “Selena: The Series” with a promo video in late 2018 with an expected launch date of the series for later this year in 2020.
The series stars “Walking Dead” actress Christian Serratos as Selena, but young Selena will be portrayed by nine-year-old Madison Taylor Baez and she spoke about joining the cast of the highly-anticipated series with “California Live.”
“I am so excited, I can’t believe it,” Baez said. “It was really fun being on set. I got to relive the moments in Selena’s life that happened to her and that was just really cool to relive the moments in Selena’s life.”
The young singer and actress from California added that her parents helped her learn about the “Queen of Cumbia.”
“I didn’t know who Selena was, but my mom and dad were huge fans of Selena and they told me about her and I was like, ‘Oh my gosh, is there a movie about her?’,” she said. “I watched the movie and I just fell in love with her.”
The Quintanilla family is fully involved with the project and series including Selena’s sister Suzette Quintanilla as executive producer.
“Selena: The Series,” which also stars Ricardo Chavira as Abraham Quintanilla, will stream on Netflix in 2020 and follows the beloved singer’s road to fame before her untimely murder at the age of 23 in 1995.
Like Tejano Nation on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and Instagram, and subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with everything Tejano. Listen to new Tejano music first with our playlists on Spotify and Soundcloud.
- Carlos Y Los Cachorros drop quarantine style music video for ‘Vida de Rico’
- Faith is focus of second single from upcoming album from Texas Latino
- BuzzBallz Chili Mango is here, and the name says it all
- Former Los Desperadoz vocalist Eric Lee shares an update on his solo project
- Latin Grammy-winning musician and producer Lorenzo ‘Papo’ Banda recovering after COVID-19 diagnosis