In 2008, Emilio Navaira’s sons, Emilio IV and Diego, performed “Juntos” at Premios a la Musica Latina in San Antonio to honor their father, who had been critically injured in a tour bus accident just days before the event.
The Tejano music legend was scheduled to perform at the awards show at Majestic Theater on April 1, but was in a medically induced coma at a Houston hospital after the tour bus he was driving crashed into freeway barrels in the early morning hours of March 23.
Emilio underwent five brain surgeries to relieve pressure in his skull and eventually returned to the stage in April 2010 to sing at a fundraiser at the Pearl and gradually put his band back together. However, the Tejano star passed away of an apparent heart attack on Monday, May 16, 2016. He was 53.
WATCH: Emilio IV and Diego Navaira perform “Juntos” at 2008 Premios a La Musica Latina
Like Tejano Nation on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and Instagram, and subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with everything Tejano. Listen to new Tejano music first with our playlists on Spotify and Soundcloud.
- Postponed Houston area drive-in concert with Intocable and Solido rescheduled for July 30
- La Mafia tributes Kenny Rogers with ‘Lady’ performance with Houston Symphony
- Abel Talamantez named Director of Latin Music Division for Sotex Records
- El Dorado Band lead vocalist Joe Gonzalez passes away from coronavirus
- LaDezz launches web store, drops new single ‘Siempre Contigo’